2015-05-01: Helloooooo, Internet
Here is me, rebooting my blog after a long absence for about the umpty-billionth time.
Well, let's see what's been happening here.
- January 2013 I found out I was pregnant with twins.
- They arrived almost 2 months early in July 2013 so I completely missed out on my planned pre-baby maternity leave.
- They spent just over a month in the NICU/Special Care nursery in the hospital while I recovered from a C-Section and walked to the hospital 1-2 times daily to visit them.
- Then Year One with Twins happened, which is mostly a massive, traumatised, sleep-deprived memory hole.
- Meanwhile, our house was being renovated so we could actually have things like a modern kitchen and more than one bedroom for 4 people.
- So we moved 3 times in one year to 2 temporary homes while our house was a total construction zone.
- Meanwhile meanwhile, I was also made redundant from my job and then started a new job last August.
- Oh, and Adam was also made redundant and started a new job.
So I've been a tad preoccupied, we could say.
Fortunately, there is day care. My 18-month-old twins go to day care for three days a week, now, and I have Fridays "off." No work. No parenting (from 8:30 to 5:30 anyway). Just solo time.
Since my solo Fridays have started, though, I have spent a lot of them just getting really urgent essential grown-up stuff done, like packing up our house and moving, or unpacking, or doing massive amounts of cleaning and cooking food for the week. So I haven't really had much "me" time during these Fridays off.
Today, however, I decided I have been doing enough of a hard slog. I turned up the street, strolled to The Granny Square and purchased Louisa Harding's The Magical World According to Miss Millie. They start with sizes for age three, and my twins don't turn 2 until July, but I figure that I can either try scaling some of them down, or I might not finish anything from the book for a whole year anyway. But it was a bit of retail therapy. For just me.
And, there has been a little bit of crafting along the way. Not lots. But, look: here's a gauge swatch. Today, I'm actually going to wash it and let it dry & hopefully get my gauge for a new project.
There's Aviatrix, which should actually fit small heads now, but I want to finish it with some type of cute little buckle. Buckle has yet to be found.
I fashioned this little waistcoat for my little man to wear to his first birthday party. I was pretty pleased with that one, I based the stitch pattern on a traditional fisherman's sweater stitch.
And following on my ancient previous post, I did actually manage to make 2 Cubbas eventually, and they were only a tiny bit too small when tried on and worn ONCE for the commemorative photo. Fortunately, the original one got a bit more wear.
There may have been 1 or 2 other things along the way. But I now feel like things are finally settling down enough that I can even begin to contemplate some time for myself, some knitting, some making, some Zen.